Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Make It Monday Challenge!!

Hey Everyone!! Happy "Hump" Day to all!! I hope everyone had a good Wednesday!! I apologize for not posting sooner but I was hard at work on today's project. I made a 12 x 12" scrapbook layout for the Make it Monday Challenge over at thememorynest.com. The challenge for this week is a color challenge with a twist. You have to use a sunburst or chevron pattern in your layout. The Design Team came up with some awesome layouts and cards that inspired me to create my own page. I decided to go with a chevron pattern for my layout. This was my first time creating a page with this bold of a pattern but I think the page turned out alright. But as always, I leave it up to you to decide. Here are the pics for your perusal:


I used a variety of techniques to create this layout.
There's paper piecing, faux chipboard elements, die cut letters, paper flowers and embroidery floss.
Here's the step by step rundown of how I did it:

I knew right away that I wanted to use a 12 x 12" sheet of Craft cardstock as a base for this page.
Luckily, I had one tucked away in my ever growing stash.
My only problem was the chevron pattern.
I don't own papers with this pattern and I don't own stamps that mimic this look.
My only option was to use a stencil.
Thankfully I had papers that matched the color scheme for this challenge so I set to work.
I used ivory, pale blue and olive green to trace my pattern on and I used my Xacto blade to cut it out.
I cut a sheet of white cardstock to 6 x 6" to use as a base to build my chevron pattern on.
I just layered the ivory, pale blue and olive green pieces on top of each other and used my ATG gun to adhere everything down.
Once I had my chevron paper finished, I cut a 2 x 6" strip to add to the left side of my pic.
And with the remaining scraps, I trimmed those down and added it to the opposite corners of my page.
I think it gives the layout just a hint of the pattern without overpowering it.

I used some gray embroidery floss to add a scallop border around the page.
My Stardust Stickles gives some added bling to the border.
I went a little squeeze crazy with my Scotch Quick Dry adhesive when I was adhering the floss, so my stickles were used to cover up the extra glue marks that were left behind.
That's what I get for multi-tasking while crafting!!
Lesson learned!!
I made a few paper flowers out of the ivory and pale blue cardstock I had left over.
I saw a vid on YouTube last week showing how to make these, so I thought I'd give them a try.
They were definitely a little challenging to make but once I got the hang of it, it got better.
I used these paper flowers as photo corners for my pic and in the corners of my layout.


To add a little bit more to the page, I punched out some small hearts in gray, pale blue and ivory.
I made them into faux chipboard elements and scattered them throughout the page.
I used foam tape for dimension and used my Spica glitter pens in Clear and Silver for added sparkle.
I also cut a strip of gray cardstock to mount behind the pic to balance it out.
The sentiment "Daddy's Girl" was cut from my Cricut @ 1 1/2" out of white cardstock.
I used my Bic MarkIt marker in "Cloud Nine Gray" to color the letters to match the layout.
I added some white highlights and dots to finish off the look.
And ta-da! my page is complete!!

I hope you all enjoyed this project for today.
I had fun creating this layout especially this cute pic of my daughter when she was two months old.
Time goes by so fast!
I'll end this post here for now and hope you all enjoy the rest of your evening!!
Peace!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It Button